General Competition FAQ

What type of helmet should we be wearing?

Following the withdrawal of the safety standard EN1384 in Europe during 2014-2015 EA had followed the movement in February 2016 by informing members that the EN1384 standard would not be permitted as of 1 January 2017 and that in addition, the new VG1 was a new approved standard on the list. The year notice gave riders time to purchase new helmets if necessary. See the February 2016 statement HERE.

As per the EA General Regulations, Article 122.2: Dress and Salute, the following will apply: 

Except where Sport Rules allows otherwise, riders and drivers competing in an EA competition, must wear an approved helmet with the chin strap fastened at all times. The same is recommended when riding a horse at any time.

Protective headgear must conform with one of the current approved safety standards:

  • Current Australian standard AS/NZS 3838 (2006 onwards) provided they are SAI Global marked.
  • New Australian standard ARB HS 2012 provided they are SAI Global marked.
  • Current American standard ASTM F1163 (2004a or 04a onwards) provided they are SEI marked.
  • Current American standard SNELL E2001.
  • Current British standard PAS 015 (1998 or 2011) provided they are BSI Kitemarked.
  • Interim European Standard VG1 (01.040: 2014-12) with or without BSI Kitemark.

Read Full Helmet Regulations

I have an event this weekend, Can you get my paperwork to me by then?

The office will endeavour to get your work out to you ASAP but all work will be completed in order of receipt to be fair to everyone. The quickest solution is to pay online and you can produce the receipt to the event. However, if your work is at the EV Office, you can sign a dtatutory declaration at the competition stating your work is at the EV Office for processing.

Do I have to be a member to compete hors concours?
Yes, you do. Hors Concours is official, but you will not be given any points.

Where can I get my horse measured?
Barastoc Horse of the Year Show, any Royal Show and most Agricultural show venues are available to officially measure your horse. Equestrian Victoria also runs multiple measuring days during the year at Werribee Park National Equestrian Centre, before show season around July- August. Keep your eye out on our website and Facebook pages to keep up to date with our next measuring day.

Do I need a performance card for training classes?
No, you will not need performance cards for training classes.